Most dog foods contain 2-5% fiber which is essential for healthy digestion. Fiber-rich diet for dogs can improve blood sugar level, reduce diarrhea and constipation, and boost weight loss as well. Sometimes you need to increase the fiber in your dog’s food. If your dog is suffering from irregular bowels you can try food with more fiber.
You may face a problem to choose the best high fiber food for your dog. In this article, I will tell you the importance of fiber food for your dog and will guide you to choose the best high fiber dog food.
The Importance of Fiber for Dogs
Fiber contains the parts of plant foods that the body can’t absorb or digest. Fiber comes in the following forms:
- Soluble fiber
- Insoluble fiber
These fibers could dissolve in water to create a material that is more similar to gel and they help to control blood sugar level and lower down the cholesterol.
These fibers add bulk to stool and helping it to move through the digestive system to resolve issues with constipation and loose stool.
Benefits of Fibers
Fibers have many benefits as they are considered as an essential nutrient in a dog’s diet. The main benefits of fibers are as follow:
- They improve colon health and reduce the risk of colon cancer
- Fibers support weight loss and weight management
- Lower the risk of diarrhea, constipation, and loose stools
- Improve blood sugar management to lower the risk of diabetes
- Help to feel the dog full despite consuming few calories
What to Look for in High Fiber Dog Food
To get the best result you need to change your dog’s diet in a tricky way. It needs to be done in a slow and steady way.
The sudden change in your dog’s food can disturb the digestive system and increasing his fiber diet can lead to wrong results.
You need some time to transition your dog slowly onto his new high-fiber dog food. You can mix some new food with his old food over a period of 7 to 10 days.
These are a few things to look for in high-fiber dog food:
- Increased fiber content approximately 6% and 10%
- High-fiber fruits and vegetables such as apples, carrots, pumpkin, and sweet potatoes
- Whole grains like brown rice and oatmeal
- Supplemental sources of fiber like flaxseed and psyllium husk
Make sure the fiber comes from nutritious sources when you buy high-fiber dog food.
The nutritious sources to get fibers are whole grains and fresh produce instead of refined grains like corn and wheat.
Also, make sure that the product meets your dog’s basic nutritional requirements.
What’s Wrong With ‘Cheap’ Dog Foods?
Some dog foods contain wheat and corn as filling agents.
Dogs are omnivores and cannot expect to digest as much grain as we give them.
Feeding your dog cheap food is just like feeding your child white flour all the time. So, always try to use higher-quality brand food for your dog.
The Best Dog Food High in Fiber
To check for increased fiber content, make sure that your dog’s food lists a premium source of animal protein as the primary ingredient and contains other highly digestible, nutritious ingredients. Always choose a healthy and balanced best high fiber cat food and diet for your dog. Here are some best high fiber dog foods:
Nutro Wholesome Essentials Weight Management Recipe (11.5%)
Try this wholesome formula if you are looking for a dog that goes above and beyond in fiber content made with farm-raised chicken and whole brown rice.
This food is always helpful for overweight dogs to achieve a more healthy weight. The primary ingredient in these nutritionally complete, low calories, natural diet dog food is US farm-raised chicken. It’s a mixture of high fibers and protein to help dogs feel full, which can lower down their food intake to aid in weight loss.
- This high fiber and low calories formula provide all nutrients that need a dog without extra calories. It’s the best food for those dogs who have a few pounds to lose.
- The primary ingredient is great tasting US farm-raised chicken which delivers amino acids to build muscle and maintain a healthy metabolism. It’s necessary for your dog to stay healthy.
- The high fiber and protein level help your dog feel full which can lower overall food intake to aid in weight loss.
- This amazing food lowers down the feeding guidelines to provide optimal nutrition to help your dog lose weight for a thin body condition. You should keep your dog’s weight at an ideal level which will enhance the longevity and quality of life.
Solid Gold Fresh Caught Wild Alaskan Pollock Adult Dry Dog Food
It’s amazing weight control formula that provides complete and balanced nutrition through the use of wholesome natural ingredients like fresh-caught Alaskan Pollock and oatmeal.
- This is low fat and low-calorie diet. It’s a complete potato free and balanced recipe for dogs who need help to maintain a healthy weight without sacrificing a flavour that they will crave.
- It’s a carefully balanced combination of 20 Holistic superfoods just like Lentil, Pumpkin, Sesame Oil, and Broccoli.
- It is a first ingredient which is rich in omega-6 and 3 to promote not only healthy and soft coat but overall wellness.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Healthy Weight Chicken Recipe (10%)
This recipe contains a premium animal protein with low carbs and no grains. It is high in fiber but low in calories and fats.
- Added L-Carnitine increases metabolism and helps burn fat
- The grain-free formula is demonstrated after dogs’ natural, healthy diets
- Contains glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy skin and coats
- LifeSource Bits are cold-formed to maintain maximum nutritional value
- Deboned chicken, chicken meal and turkey meal supply the protein your dog need
Earthborn Holistic Weight Control Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
This recipe contains wholesome and natural ingredients. It also contains low calories and fats to control your dog’s weight but supplemented with extra fiber to support healthy weight management.
- Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, 28 Lb. Resealable Bag
- Low-Calorie Formula For Weight Management
- Fortified With Glucosamine And Chondroitin Sulfate For Healthy Joint Cartilage
- Balanced Ratio Of Omega-6 And Omega-3 Fatty Acids Helps Support Healthy Skin And Coat
- Packaging Is Bpa Free, Recyclable Through Earthborn Reborn/Terracycle Program, Collect UPCs, Plant Trees
Wellness CORE Natural Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
It’s low fat and calories but rich in fibers and proteins diet for a complete and balanced diet.
- Grain-Free: It’s 100% Grain Free, Complete And Balanced diet To Support Your Dog’S Healthy Weight
- Reduced-Fat Formula: Naturally Grain-Free, Protein-Rich, Lower Fat Recipe Using Real Turkey, Chicken & Salmon Oil To Support Your Dog’S Healthy Weight Management
- All Natural: Contains Only Premium, All Natural Ingredients With No Wheat, Corn, Soy, Meat By-Products, Or Artificial Colors, Flavors And Preservatives
- Made In USA: Backed By The Wellness Guarantee And Proudly Made Only In The USA
Holistic Select Natural Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
It supports the unique digestive health system. Its weight management formula contains fiber and premium animal protein for balanced nutrition.
- Unique Digestive Health Support: It is rich in Ideal Fat & Calories to help achieve a healthy weight over time
- Grain-Free: It is grain-free, complete and balanced everyday nutrition for your dog.
- Quality Ingredients: High fiber helps your pet feel full between meals;
- All Natural: It contains only premium, all-natural ingredients with no corn, meat by-products, artificial colors, flavors, fillers or preservatives
Wellness Complete Health
This formula contains ground barley and brown rice which provide the wholesome amount of fiber and the vegetables also add a lot of fiber.
The chondroitin in this formula can help cushion achy joints in medium and large dogs. It contains a lot of Lactobacillus to help promote digestive health.
How can I add additional fiber to my dog’s diet?
First, you need to know how much fiber needed to add in dog food, then, first of all, vegetables can be added to maintain fiber level.
Some of the brands added vegetable ingredients in their food containers.
Some of the important food recommendations you must keep in your mind before adding dog food items.
Few ingredients mentioned below, which are high in fiber and low in calories.
- Green veggies
- Green vegetables
- Beet pulp
- Sweet potatoes