The great way to keep your dog healthy is to feed the right dog food. A dog can suffer from nutritional deficiencies if you give him too little food. Too much food may cause obesity and all of the health issues related to that condition, including:
- Congestive heart failure
- Cushing’s disease
- Musculoskeletal problems like osteoarthritis, cruciate muscle ruptures, and intervertebral disk disease
- Skin disorders
- Some types of cancer
However, there is no way to check how much an individual dog should be eating. Determining the correct size of food depends on the type of dog food, how times they eat a day, their size/ age, their metabolic rate, the amount of exercise they get, and more.
Both humans and dogs are omnivores, so they have nutritional similarities. Their diet consists of a mixture of the three core nutrients: protein, carbohydrate, and fat. The balance of these core nutrients is critical to your pet’s health. Let’s talk about them one by one and find out why they are essential.
Proteins for Dogs
Protein is a core nutrient which is required for all aspects of growth, repair, and maintenance. It also plays a dynamic role in the maintenance of a dog immune system. The quantity of protein in a dog’s diet can vary significantly. The main factor is the activity of a dog.
They will require protein to maintain their muscles and cells effectively. Lazy or inactive dogs need a low level of protein, as minimal repair and maintenance are occurring.
Carbohydrates for Dogs
Carbohydrates are not necessary for a dog’s diet, but it doesn’t mean they are a negative addition. They are a great source of energy and dietary fiber, which can play a critical role in the dog’s health.
Always choose high-quality ingredients to get a carbohydrate-rich diet for your dog. Whole vegetables and some grains are the best choices.
Fats for Dogs
Fats are the primary source of energy for your dogs as they are over twice as concentrated a source of energy as compared to carbohydrates and proteins.
However, they are not only used for energy and are also crucial for development and the maintenance of your dog’s cells, tissues, and muscles.
What to Feed Your Dog?
Many people search about this “What should I feed my dog?”
Unfortunately, no one can give the exact answer. I can help you to pick up the food with the best ingredients. However, it’s a fact that all foods do not suit every dog. Different dogs need different diets, so choose the best one for your dog.
Following are best dry dog foods that have been selected by Dog Food Items because of their quality ingredients, nutritious design, and superior safety practices of their manufactures.
Moreover, these products reveal the following things:
- Above-average meat content
- Safe fat to protein ratio
- Moderate carb levels
- No high-risk ingredients
- No anonymous meat
Best Dry Dog Food Items
Here are the best dry dog food items:
Giving your dog with a variety of novels yet protein-packed ingredients like venison, bison, salmon, wildfowl, lamb, and boar. It’s a big source of meat proteins for dogs. The taste of the wild is one of the best because it contains all dog nutrition.
It is perfect for your pets that may already have grown hypersensitive to the usual sources of protein such as chicken and beef. That is not enough; this food is also grain free. This healthier source of carbs includes:
- Unique protein sources
- Exceptional protein and fat ratio
- Vitamin and antioxidant enriched
- Grain-free for added allergy protection
Brand: Taste of the Wild
Weight: 30 pounds
This food derives the bulk of its animal protein from a chicken meal. The main ingredients of this diet are a chicken meal, chicken fat, brown rice, whole oat groats, and dried beet pulp. It also contains grain. All adults, small, and medium, breed puppies can use this diet. The detailed label analysis reveals that it contains 33% protein, 22% fat, and 36% estimated carbs creating a fat-to-protein ratio of about 67%.
- Traditional, grain inclusive design
- Protein sourced from clearly identified animal sources
- High energy formula ideal for sporting dogs
- Probiotics included for digestive health
Instinct Orignal derives most of its animal protein from beef, chicken meal, and fish meal. The main ingredients include beef, white fish meal, chicken meal, peas, and chicken fat. The label analysis reveals that the recipe contains 40% protein, 21% fat, and 31% estimated carbs producing a fat-to-protein ratio of 53%.
- Popular flavor options perfect for diet rotation
- Iron proteinate and chelated minerals for superior nutrition
- A generous quantity of meat-based protein
- No plant protein concentrates for healthy amino acid balance
One of the best strengths of this food is its use of lamb and bison as animal proteins. Now, more products include lamb in their formulations due to its low potential for causing allergies; only a few products put bison in their formulations. This food comes with probiotics and prebiotics to help to enhance canine immune functioning and digestion. It’s a grain-free diet which builds on the hypoallergenic potential of its novel protein content.
- Contains real lamb and bison meat as principal sources of protein
- Contains prebiotics and probiotics
- Contains omega three fatty acids
- Grain-free formulation
Brand: I and Love and You
Weight: 11.1 pounds
This formula derives the majority of its animal protein from a beef meal. The main ingredients are a beef meal, grain sorghum, chicken fat, pork meal, and chicken meal. It’s best for adults, small/ medium breed puppies. Its dry matter label analysis shows that it contains 33% protein, 22% fat, and 37% carbs that result in a fat-to-protein ratio of about 67%.
The key features of the product are:
- High-quality, budget-friendly brand
- Grain inclusive design. No legume concentrates
- Multiple high protein animal sources for optimal nutrition
- Contains multiple probiotics to promote healthy digestion
This product derives most of its animal protein from chicken. The main ingredients of this product are brown rice, chicken meal, chicken fat, whole dry eggs, and herring meal.
The detailed analysis of this product reveals that it contains 36% protein, 22% fats, and 34% estimated carbs are yielding a fat to protein ratio of about 63%. It can use by all adults and puppies.
The product’s key features include:
- Iron proteinate and other chelated minerals for superior absorption
- It includes beet pulp fiber to support healthy stools
- Cranberries and spinach for natural antioxidant disease resistance
- It contains grain. No legume-based protein concentrates
It’s grain free product for your dog. The main ingredients are salmon, salmon meal, menhaden fish meal, sweet potatoes, and peas. It derives the bulk of its animal protein from salmon. The detailed analysis shows that it contains 36% of proteins, 20% fats, and 36% carbs resulting in a fat-to-protein ratio of about 56%.
The key features include:
- Multiple flavor options ideal for finicky eaters
- Contains no plant-based protein concentrates
- Limited ingredients to help identify allergy
- Low fat-to-protein ratio means quality meat
This healthy food derives most of its animal protein from chicken. When you do a detailed analysis of this product, it shows that the recipe contains 27% protein, 13% fat, and 52% carbs, which yields a fat-to-protein ratio of about 50%. The main ingredients include chicken meal, oatmeal, deboned chicken, ground barley, and peas.
The key features include:
- Contains safe antioxidant preservatives. No BHA
- Balanced grain inclusive design
- Flaxseed and other omega-3 fatty acids for healthy skin and coat
- Glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy joints
It consists of deboned chicken, deboned turkey, Atlantic flounder, cage-free eggs, and whole Atlantic mackerel. This product derives the majority of animal proteins from deboned poultry and Atlantic fish.
Its recipe consists of 43% protein, 21% fat, and 28% carbs, which produces a fat-to-protein ratio of about 47%.
The main key features are as follow
- Abundant meat content for ideal amino acid balance
- Recipes for large breed puppies, seniors and more
- Balanced grain-free formula. No corn or wheat
- Contains no genetically modified ingredients
The main ingredients include chicken, chicken meal, ground white rice, chicken fat, and cracked pearled barley. This product derives the bulk of animal protein from chicken. The detailed analysis reveals that the recipe includes 36% protein, 28% fat, and 29% carbs resulting in a fat-to-protein ratio of about 78%.
The key features include:
- Kale and other antioxidant-rich ingredients for healthy circulation
- No plant protein concentrates for superior amino acid profile
- Includes beet pulp fiber to promote healthy digestion
- Contains lignin-rich flaxseed to help lower cancer risk