Can dog eat mandarin? A thoughtful question for every dog owner. The answer is quite complicated because mandarin belongs to a citrus fruit family.
Along with the citric acid, mandarin has enough sugar; both are not good for dogs in excess amount. But still, you can provide a small amount of mandarin to your dog once a week.
What is Mandarin?
Mandarin is a citrus fruit that is from the family of oranges. This fruit has a high amount of sugar and citric acid and gives a very delicious taste. Mandarin oranges have an excessive amount of vitamin C that helps in the immune system’s proper functioning. It also maintains the health of the skin and speeds up healing wounds.
Nutritional value of mandarin
The brief list of nutritional value and nutrients of mandarin are:
|Calories||53 kcal / 222 kJ|
|Dietary fiber||1,8 g|
|Total fats||0,31 g|
|Vitamin A||681 I.U.|
|Vitamin C||26,7 mg|
|Vitamin E||0,20 mg|
Benefits of mandarin to your dog
If we discuss mandarin’s benefits, it is safe for the dog to provide your dog in a limited amount. The nutritional value of mandarin explains that how it stores a lot of beneficial nutrients in it that are essential for both humans and dogs.
You can give the mandarin to your dog but as an occasional treat. One or two slices are enough for a healthy dog, do not try to give your dog excess fruit.
- Vitamin C is present in mandarins that are necessary for strengthening immunity.
- Mandarins are the natural source of sugars that uses for the immediate energy booster for the dogs.
- Fibers play a significant role in the digestion process that is very good for your dog’s health.
- The antioxidants present in this fruit help dogs against diseases, fight and detect the inflammatory parts if present in the dog and cure them.
- Vitamin C in mandarins acts as a purifying agent to protect from harmful substances. If the dog accidentally ingests onions and spices of any other harmful ingredients, the mandarin may help the dog fight the problems.
- Mandarins can also help the quick healing of any wound due to their Vitamin C, which helps produce
Some Harmful effects of mandarin
On one side, if there are sound effects of mandarin, there are too many side effects of this fruit also. This due to the citrus taste and high amount of sugar that is present in it. That is why I said that mandarin is suitable for dogs but in a meager amount.
As I always said that it is not harmful to provide your dog with everything you eat. But it is essential to consult your dog’s veterinarian that; what are you going to give your dog? and is it safe for your dog or not?
- If your dog has eaten a large number of mandarins, this can affect your dog, and the dog’s health should face severe gastrointestinal issues.
- If your dog is suffering from diabetes and you gave too many mandarins to your dog. The health of your dog will disturb due to the high amount of sugar in it
- Please do not give the peels of mandarin to your dog because your dog’s digestive system is very delicate and can not digest the peels of mandarin. If it happens, the digestive system will stop working and can cause severe problems.
- The Digestion of peels can also show the symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, and other problems.
Serving ideas of mandarin to dog
Don’t worry, although we know that an excessive amount of mandarin can affect the dog’s health. Still, you can offer the mandarin to your dog to consult your dog’s veterinarian and make sure that your dog should not become allergic to the mandarin.
Here are some serving tips of mandarin to the dog; you can follow these instructions if your dog likes to eat the mandarin fruit:
- You can add mandarin to the dog’s diet in a small amount.
- Avoid giving this fruit on a regular diet.
- It is a must to peel off the mandarins and provide them into slices.
- Do not give your dog the whole fruit at a time.
Will mandarin oranges hurt dogs?
There are two mandarin cases for dogs, which means that if the dog eats the mandarin orange in a large amount, it is toxic to dogs, but if the dog eats this fruit in moderation, it is not harmful to your dog. You should provide a small amount of mandarin to your dog.
Is Citrus bad for dogs?
Citrus is terrible for dogs if ingested in a large amount. Fruits like oranges, tangerines, mandarin, clementine, grapefruit, lemons, and limes contain Citrus. Before offering these fruits, consult your dog’s vet and then provide the safe thing to your dog.
The sum-up of all this discussion is nothing harmful if taken in a small amount. Same with the mandarin oranges, these are not bad for dogs, but you have to keep extra attention to your dog’s diet.
You have to give your dog a moderate and safe meal on your dog’s veterinarian prescription. Hope this article will help you keep safe and protect your dog from every harm and give your dog a healthy diet.
Leave a Reply