Yes, you can feed your dog with anchovies. Anchovies are bite-sized small fish. Dogs can easily eat anchovies. Puppies easily eat two to three anchovies and while dogs eat up to five anchovies. Anchovies contain Omega 3 fatty acids more than other fishes. Omega 3 is good for the cardiovascular system, brain, joints, skin, and hair of the dog.
What are anchovies?
Anchovies are small silvery fish that have green and blue reflections. It can swim in large and thick schools. Most types of anchovies live in narrow steamy and warm temperate seas. They entered in salty water around river mouths. A few types of anchovies live in fresh water.
Benefits of Anchovies for dogs!
Anchovies have lots of benefits like they are high in protein and high in calcium, iron, and other minerals. Anchovies contain Vitamins A, E, K, B-6, and B-12. Some more are as follows:
- Anchovies help in the development of puppies.
- Improve the immune system of dogs.
- Anchovies help to boost the dog’s heart and kidneys and also reduce dogs’ anxiety and depression.
- It gives the ability to dogs to fight against cancer and reduce infection.
Anchovies types that are not good for dogs!
- Salt-based Anchovies packed are not good for your dogs because a high quantity of salt makes dogs toxic.
- These are packed in oil and are also not good for dogs because many oils like sunflower oil, corn oil, and soybean oil are high in omega -6. Most dogs have much omega-6 in their diet. So, it is not good for dogs to take more omega-6. The anchovies packed in oil just provide extra calories without any benefits.
- Marinated and spiced anchovies are not good for dogs.
How anchovies are given to dogs?
- Give the whole anchovy to your dog with head and tail included. The bones of anchovies are too small to fully digest.
- To feed anchovies to puppies cut the fish into two parts.
- You can feed your dog with anchovies daily and as a treat.
- If you feed the dog with dry anchovies, keep the bag of anchovies in a cool place after taking fish from it. Make sure to finish the bag in 30 days.
Why anchovies are Good for Dogs?
Anchovies live at the bottom of the river food chain, and these are also short-lived. Because of this anchovies do not have pollutants and poisons like larger fish. So, that is why anchovies are a good treat for your dogs as compared to other fishes.
Anchovies are small in size so you don’t have to worry about the bones stuck in their mouth and gullet.
Fresh anchovies directly coming from the river or fish department are good for dogs’ health.
Frozen anchovies are also available in the market these are also good for dogs.
Dried anchovies are also good for dogs’ health if they are not spicy.
Can I feed raw anchovies to my dog?
Yes, raw and fresh anchovies are good for dogs. Fresh and raw anchovies provide omega-3 to dogs. It is easily digested.
Are anchovies toxic to a dog?
Anchovies are a good snack for dogs. Puppies consume two to three anchovies easily and dogs can easily consume four to five anchovies.
Anchovies are bite-size fish in silver color they are good for dogs. It contains omega-3 which is good for dogs. Most dogs like anchovies taste. It is easy to digest. Frozen and dried anchovies are also available in the market. You can easily feed your dogs with anchovies. But fresh anchovies are better for dogs as compared to dried ones.